Sleep is the best cure for, well, everything. It resets, rewires and rejuvenates the brain – clearing out the clutter and helping you tackle the day. Totally switching off can be quite tricky these days, so we’ve put together a few simple steps to help you fall into the deepest slumber.
Ready to catch some sweet, sweet zzz’s?
Rise and shine
The morning sets you up for the entire day, so make sure you glide into it refreshed and well rested.
- Get up at the same time every day
- Avoid hitting the snooze button – seize the day, no matter how painful it may be to wake up
- Meditate for 10-15 mins
- Play your favourite morning song
Ease into the evening
As the sun begins to set and dusk rolls in, it’s time for the mind to unwind and get into the sleepy groove.
- Do something that doesn’t fire up your brain – meditate, read a book (not the news!), go for a short walk, take a hot bath (think of all the bubbles)
- Set a bedtime and stick to it (if you can)
- Charge your phone away from your bed so you’re not tempted to check it
The dozing off diet
Pay close attention to what you eat and drink in the evenings. Bad food means bad mood – and, of course, bad sleep!
- Make sure your dinner is packed with food that releases energy slowly (turkey, eggs, fish, beans, peanuts, whole grain pasta) – these foods are also great for rebuilding muscles
- Drinks loads of water during the day and less in the evenings – best to avoid midnight dashes to the bathroom
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and smoking up to six hours before going to bed
Keep the bedroom, a bedroom
It’s not the kitchen, TV room or dining room – it’s a bedroom where you sleep. That’s why it’s best to minimize distractions.
- Avoid bringing the laptop to bed – though it’s tempting to keep watching that series, you’ll find it hard to sleep after all the drama/murder/humour/sadness
- Keep the room temperature in check – 18-20°C should do it
- Invest in a good mattress – you spend half your life on these springy clouds, make sure it’s the best of the best
- Try a sleep mask – light is your enemy here, so shield yourself from it and doze off in blissful darkness
- Write down what’s on your mind – if you tend to mull over things right before going to sleep, write it all down and then put it away